Mumbai: Sonapur Church baggs rolling trophy of MKKS Skit competition
30/11/2011 18:00 GMT
Report by Ancy D'souza
Mumbai: The MAHARASHTRA KONKANI KALA SANSTHA, MUMBAI, an Association
working towards the upliftment of Konkani Art, Culture, Language
& Literature, along with the support of the TIATR ACADEMY OF
GOA, organised its 2nd. KONKANI SKIT COMPETITION on 27th November
2011at 2.00pm at The Patkar Hall, New Marine Lines, Mumbai 400 020. The
Event started with a Welcome speech by the president of the MKKS, Mr.
There were 6 enteries for the Competition:
1. 'PITTAGULO' by the VINCENTIANS from St. Vincent de Paul Church, Khar
2. 'FARIKPONN MEVLEM' by the SAKINAKACHI MANKANN from St.Anthony
3. 'AMI DOGAIM EK' by the DIVINE MERCY GROUP from St. Joseph Church,
4. 'NIDDUKAIYECHO UZO' by the SONAPUR CHURCH GROUP from Our
Lady of Seven Dolors, Marine Lines.
5. 'THEEN THEEN' PAUTI by the KONKANI GROUP OF MALWANI from St.Anthony
6. 'CHERKO ZAI' by the KONKANI CATHOLIC ASSOCIATION OF ORLEM from Our
Lady of Lourdes, Orlem.
The Judges for the Event were 3 renowned personalities, who in their
own way also work towards the upliftment of the Konkani Language.
1. Mr. Fausto D'costa, President of the Goan Review Art
Foundation(GRAF), and Editor of the Goan Review &
2. Mr. Lawrence D'souza Kamani, Secretary of the Konkani Bhasha Mandal,
& Assoc. Sect of the Jagotik Konkanni Songattan.
3. Bro. Samuel Rebello, Konkani Lecturer at the Goregaon Seminary.
All the 6 Skits were enjoyable and were well applauded. Each skit was
of a 15 minute duration and all the participants were well rehearsed.
There were a total number of 35 artistes participating in the
Competition. Every participant was given a CERTIFICATE OF MERIT
& a gift.
Mr. John Claro a well known Theatre Personality-Writer-Director from
Goa of the PORTUGUESE KOLVONT fame, was the Special Guest for the
Afternoon. He said the he was happy and surprised to note that such
competitions were also held in Mumbai and also promised the MKKS that
he too would institute an award for the next competition that the MKKS
There were 4 Rolling Trophies that were presented to the 4 winners
along with a Certificate & a Gift Hamper.
1. The MKKS ROLLING TROPHY for the Best Story/Skit, was presented with
a cash prize of Rs.11,000/-, to Mrs. Assisa Crasto, of the Sonapur
Church Group, for her skit, 'NIDDUKAIYECHO UZO'.
2. The PREM KUMAR ROLLING TROPHY donated by Mrs. Ramona D'costa (wife
of late Mr. Prem Kumar), for Best Director, was presented with a cash
prize of Rs. 1,500/-, to Mr. Cyril Castelino, for his direction of the
skit, 'CHERKO ZAI'.
3. The C. ALVARES ROLLING TROPHY donated by the C. Alvares Family, for
Best Actor-Male, was presented, with a cash prize of Rs. 1,500/-, to
Mr. Felix D'souza Malwani, for his acting capabilities in the skit,
'THEEN THEEN PAUTI'.
4. The CHRISTOPHER LEITAO ROLLING TROPHY donated by Mrs. Meena Leitao
(wife of late Mr. Christopher Leitao), for Best Actor-Female was
presented, with a cash prize of Rs.1,500/-, to Mrs. Fatima Marques, for
her acting capabilities in the skit 'AMI DOGAIM EK'.
The speakers for the Event were the 3 Judges who spoke words of
encouragement to the participants and the MKKS. All the 4 winners
thanked the MKKS for giving them a platform to showcase their talents.
Mr. Gable D'souza compered the afternoon gracefully. Mr. Kenny Zuzarte,
vice-president of the MKKS, thanked the TIART ACADEMY OF GOA for their
support and also informed that the MKKS, along with the support of the
TAG would wish to start a workshop for acting and singing. He requested
the participants & audience to come forward and register their
names. He also thanked Mr. Carrie Fernandes, the president of this Skit
Competition, without whom this event would never have been possible.
The Vote of Thanks was addressed by Mr.Evan Fernandes, president of the
MKKS. He thanked the 3 judges, Mr. John Claro, the participants and the
audience. He also thanked his Committee and mentioned that because of
the strong Committee, it was possible to organise such events.